If you are a Christian, this video will touch you deeply. It is a true story about a girl who converted from Islam to Christianity. Contemporary society upholds a Christianity that is self-serving. This is because we have become lovers of self more than lovers of God, a trait that the Bible teaches will be the hallmark of the church at the end of this age.
I recently came across this quotation on http://waltsamp.wordpress.com/
The Self-Centered Church comes directly from our self-centered society. The core of the Self-Centered Church is an inward-looking view of what Christianity is meant to be. In this church what matters is that God thinks of them highly and lovingly. Their songs contain a lot of I, me, and my instead of second and third person pronouns such as you, he, and his. Their self-centeredness can go as far as to think that God’s happiness depends on their performance as a Christian. They think a lot about their time, their possessions, their safety and their personal peace. Obviously this church does not think much of others except in what way helping them might increase their own self-esteem.
By contrast Jesus said that we are to take up our cross daily and follow Him. He also said that if He, as the Master, was persecuted, then we too (His followers) would be persecuted.
We do not like persecution. It brings back memories of being bullied at school, We are selfish by nature and resort to self preservation. But Jesus also said that if we want to find life, we must be willing to lose it.
Even nature proves this point. In order for a plant to reproduce life, it first has to die. The seed must fall to the ground before it can reproduce life.
And here lies the dilemma. We do not want to die (to self). We have been conditioned to live for the “good things” of this life – things that can in fact not produce spiritual life in us. We have become slaves of this lie. Jesus said “I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life”. He also claimed that “no man can come to God the Father except through me”.
Jesus promised an abundant, eternal life, but what he did not mean was the brand of designer Christianity that we see promulgated as Christianity in mega churches.
The crux of the matter is that as Christians we are called to lose our identity and to identify with the suffering of Jesus Christ. Any other version of the gospel is false and serves the lie.
- The Reformation of American Christianity (waltsamp.wordpress.com)
- Christian Persecution in Syria (christianlibertynews.wordpress.com)
- Despite Persecution, Bangladeshi Women Grow in Christ (opendoorssg.wordpress.com)
- ‘But Wasn’t The Persecution Of Christians Predicted In The Bible?’ (voiceofthepersecuted.wordpress.com)
- Muslim Persecution of Christians: June, 2013 (raymondibrahim.com)
- Persecution in Eritrea (steakandabible.com)
- The Testing of Our Faith (dusabepeter.wordpress.com)
- ‘Either You Convert to Islam, Or You Will Be Beheaded’ by Breitbart News (jericho777.wordpress.com)
- A Call to Die (alwaysforward87.wordpress.com)
- God Continues to Move In Syria Despite Civil War and Christian Persecution (blackchristiannews.com)